Jun 23, 2011

When TCW animators have WAY too much time

I watched Citadel episodes few days ago and I was stunned by the amount of all details the animators had done. Ahsoka's face talks more than her words in the second part if the trilogy! It's like the animators really tried to make her look like a teenager, her expressions were so natural.
Also, Anakin and Obi-Wan had some scenes where they looked quite gay. Honestly! I was taking screencapts like crazy, and the results were indeed interesting:

Sorry for the subtitles in this ^.^ But in this pic, look at their eyes... Honestly, there is something going on.
(btw. lines say: "I don't think so." "What do you mean?" They're talking about to how to get to one of the platforms of Citadel.)
Also, clones are very feminine, and the translator made perfect job! Honestly, they must have hired some young guy who knows Star Wars to do this, the translations are so fitting in some points. Translation often adds jokes to where they could be lost in translation if they were supposed to be jokes in first place.

What did I say about feminine clones! Those eyelashes look just ridiculous XD Could a clone look more gay than that?
I got a good pic here, without any subtitles. This whole trilogy was a good one, because there is a lot of action, during which there is no talk, so I can get lots of un-subtitled pics. Of course, after I get my hands on a DVD box of this season, I'm gonna take all these good pics again, without subtitles.

And why subtitled and not dubbed? Well, that's the reason why I love Finland. Only few children's shows and documentaries are dubbed, everything else gets Finnish subtitles. I don't know the reason why the companies do this. Probably because subtitling is cheaper than dubbing, and thus the dubs we do have are good quality. (Digimon Adventure and DA02 for example, any dubbed anime/animation in general.) Anyway, I love having my fav programs in English, and if it's on DVD, I can always turn the subtitles off.
Once I did a cruel thing with the subtitles in TCW: on the DVD version, a Swedish dub is available, but not Finnish. I just wanted to hear what Anakin's dub voice sounded like, so I turned on SWE dub and FIN subtitles. The episode I picked was 1.13(Jedi Crash) cause I absolutely love that episode. Anyway, this way I heard the SWE voices, but understood what they were talking about. Also, Ahsoka's SWE voice is wonderful! I would compare it to Chibi-Usa's voice in Sailor Moon S and SuperS, if this comparement is allowed. And only in the fact that I find the dubbed ones almost better than the original voices.
Back to my original point. Why IS everything dubbed in USA? I read from one site that an average guy doesn't bother to sit on the couch to watch the show, but must be able to understand it from another room. WHAT'S THE POINT IN THAT!!!!!! You listen to RADIO, not TV. Honestly, in this I find American standards STUPID.
Whoa, now I must stop ranting about dubbing, so I won't slip into raning about Sailor Moon. So, back to my SCs of TCW.

Ahsoka's reaction to the above rant about dubbing. XD
I think this one was the best of the pics I took during this conversation. Ahsoka's frustration is clear on her face. The animation truly has come a long way since season 1 and the movie.
Well, I don't know if you think so, but this is my opinion. I love when the emotions tell more than words, and Ahsoka is brilliant in it. Actually, I like Ahsoka no matter what she does, as I belong to that exact part of TCW audience that Ahsoka was designed to appeal.
I was fourteen when the movie came out, and happened to even be the exact same height as she was! (My lightsaber of choice would also be green, but that isn't related to Ahsoka, but Luke.) Now I'm sixteen, and I consider older Ahsoka to be 15-16. I still use her a self-inserty type when I write fanfics. Well, that last part wasn't so good thing, but I think I still manage to keep her in character(considering how she did act in episode 1.13, she wouldn't be out of character being overprotective of Anakin). But that's again only my opinion.

Obi-Wan, for this, I love you. I can imagine him thinking  'oh, fuck' in this situation. For once, IT WASN'T ANAKIN WHO MADE THEM FALL INTO THE TRAP!!!!! Yes, I am cheering at that >D
And once again I must admire the animation. All the fabrics look so realistic. I said in my Mortis-review, and I'll say it again: Ahsoka's shirt/tunic/whatever is wool or wool-like material. It looks a bit like leather, but has too rough surface to be leather. Obi-Wan's tunic is cotton or flax, as it is light woven material. I'm siding with flax, because the structure looks too rough to be cotton. And Anakin's clothes are of course leather, that was said somewhere in the books. And now I wonder what Ashoka would look like in a regular Jedi tunic, like the one Adi Gallia wears... Anyway, let's see if I have any more good pics saved :D

Nope, not any good ones. Blurry and odd, yes, but no good ones at all. Damn, I have to watch the episodes again D: I don't like the first part because it's a carboncopy from the comics. I never like it if that happens. Because of that, I thought I was going to be disappointed with these episodes, but in the end, they're... meh, okay. Average. I don't know. Anakin getting shocked(while hanging frim CEILING with ONE hand) was good, so was Ahsoka's face. Tarkin is stupid. I can't get myself to like him. Piell's death was unnecessary and also quite odd.

With that death, I actually can get to my quirk about violence in TCW. It's the injuries. Either they die, fall unconscious(Anakin, 1.13) or get small gashes(Obi-Wan, 2.05). Anakin should have been all bloody, and so should have Obi-Wan. Sure, they were in accidents that most likely cause internal injuries, but wouldn't they couse at least some bleeding? I understand that it's a kids' show, but the delibarate avoiding of any blood is getting ridiculous. I watch BSG, and that has blood FLYING. Well, almost. In at least one episode, a bleeding gunshot wound was clearly visible, and from that viewer could see that the bullet had broken a bone. Why then doesn't TCW show any injuries? Also, Anakin seems to be somewhat injury-resistant. He's been in at least three real accidents so far(1.06(which may not even count), 1.13 & 2.21) and he's gotten lesser injuries at least three times (1.12, 1.22 & 3.18)(<- all of these were shocking). All times, the depiction ahs been somewhat unrealistic. Shocking a person, especially one with prosthetic limbs, would hurt like hell, and probably knock one unconscious for a short time. Anakin doesn't seem to even wince at some of these. Okay, okay, he and Obi-Wan did scream in pain in 1.12, he did pass out in 1.22, and he was shownw to suffer in 3.18, but still they seem ittle unrealistic to me.
So am I expecting too much or is GFFA different? The latter opinion would take some bottom off my fanfics D':

No comments:

Post a Comment