Jul 10, 2011

The new US copyright law?

Just what is going on? I log on to dA and I see people screaming 'OMG WE CAN'T BE FANS ANYMORE!!!!!!!111' What? I chack some petitions and see it's about a new law that will ban streaming copyrighted material. Mainly that means music, videogames, TV series and movies. Sure, YouTube would lose a lot material due to that law, but does it even have a change at getting through?

I don't live in US, but I believe that this law would affect me. It would ban music videos on YouTube, for example. I've found a lot of great songs and remixes on YT, and that's definitely a good thing.

But now I get to the real point of this post. Are people on dA overreacting? They claim this law would also ban fanart and fiction, but does it really? They aren't actually stremaing the content, but rather derivate works of it. Well, my English sucks, so 'derivate' may not be the right word for this situation. What I mean was that fanart and fiction lean on copyrighted material for source. That's not illegal, is it? Just how much would this law change dA or other websites with works relying on copyrighted material that had their servers on US ground?

No comments:

Post a Comment